Note: Hyperlinks will take you to either the jounrnal table of contents, or if the journal is available via OpenAccess, the actual article. If you hit a paywall, then please check the Queen Elizabeth II Research Repository by clicking here, or my profile on Research Gate, as post-print versions of many of my articles are available for download at one of those two locations. Otherwise please contact me for a reprint.
Bold text below indicates students under my supervision.
- McMullin RT, D Ure, M Smith, H Clapp, YF Wiersma. Accepted. Ten years of lichen monitoring for air quality and ecological integrity at Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site. Ecological Indicators
- Mejías MA, YF Wiersma, DB Wingate, JL Madeiros. 2017. Non-breeding distribution and at-sea behavior of Bermudan-origin White-tailed Tropicbirds (Phaethon lepturus catesbyi) in the North Atlantic. Journal of Field Ornithology
- LeClerc E, YF Wiersma. 2017. Assessing post-industrial land cover change at the Pine Point mine, NWT, Canada using multi-temporal Landsat analysis and landscape metrics. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 189:185
- Gomez C, J Lawson, A-L Kouwenberg, H Moors-Murphy, A Buren, C Fuentes-Yaco, E Marotte, YF Wiersma, T Wimmer. 2017. Predicted distribution of whales at risk: identifying priority areas to enhance cetacean monitoring in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. Endangered Species Research 32: 437-458.
- McMullin RT, YF Wiersma. Accepted. Lichens and allied fungi of Salmonier Nature Park, Newfoundland. The Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society.
- Mejias M,DB Wingate, J Madeiros, YF Wiersma, GJ Robertson. Accepted. Nest-cavity selection and nesting success of Bermuda White-Tailed Tropicbirds (Phaethon lepturus catesbyi). The Wilson Journal of Ornithology.
- Lukyanenko R, J Parsons, YF Wiersma, G Wachinger, R Meldt, B Huber. Accepted. Guidelines for conceptual modeling of organization-directed user-generated content. Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
- Knoke TF, C Paul, P Hildebrandt, B Calvas LM Castro, F Härtl, M Döllerer, U Hamer, D Windhorst, YF Wiersma, GC Fernándex, W Obermeier, J Adams, L Breuer, R Mosandl, MW Weber, BA Stimm, E Beck, W Haber, J Bendix. 2016. Compositional diversity of rehabilitated tropical lands supports multiple ecosystems services and buffers uncertainties. Nature Communications 7: 11877 doi: 10.1038/ncomms11877
- Lukyanenko R, J Parsons, YF Wiersma, R Sieber, M Maddah. 2016. Participatory design for user-generated content systems: understanding the challenges and moving forward. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems 28(1): Article 2.
- McMullin RT, LL Bennett, OJ Bjorgan, DA Bourque, CJ Burke, MA Clarke, MK Gutgesell, PL Krawiec, R Malyon, A Mantione, AT Piotrowski, NY Tam, AC Van Natto, YF Wiersma, SG Newmaster. 2016. Impact of air pollution and population density on lichen diversity in the Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve. The Lichenologist 48(5): 593-605.
- Wiersma YF, DJH Sleep.2016. A review of how definitions and concepts in systematic conservation planning are applied in the real world. The Forestry Chronicle 92(3): 322-335.
- Mayer, AL, B Buma, A Davis, SA Gagné, EL Loudermilk, R Scheller, F Schmiegelow, YF Wiersma, J Franklin. 2016 How landscape ecology informs global land change science and policy. BioScience 66(6): 458-469 doi: 10.1093/biosci/biw035
- Lukyanenko R, J Parsons, YF Wiersma. 2016. Editorial: Emerging problems of data quality in citizen science. Conservation Biology 30(3): 447-449.
- Letto KR, YF Wiersma, J Brazil, B Rodrigues. 2015. Bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) population increases in Placentia Bay, Newfoundland – evidence for habitat saturation? Avian Conservation and Ecology 10(1): article 4 [online]
- Fielden MA, AC Chaulk, PK Bassett, YF Wiersma, M Erbland, H Whitney, TW Chapman. 2015. Aedes japonicas japonicas (Diptera: Culicidae) arrives at the most easterly point in North America. The Canadian Entomologist 147: 7.37-740
- Van Vierssen Trip N, YF Wiersma. 2015. A comparison of All-Terrain Vehcile (ATV) trail impacts on boreal habitats across scales. Natural Areas Journal 35(2): 266-278
- Wiersma YF, Duinker PN, Haider W, Hvenegaard GT, Schmiegelow FKA. 2015. Relationships between Protected Areas and Sustainable Forest Management: where are we heading? Conservation and Society 13(1): 1-12
- Witiw J, YF Wiersma. 2015. A framework for integrating transboundary values, landscape connectivity and “protected areas” values within a Forest Management Area in northern Alberta. Conservation and Society 13(1): 84-94.
- Lukyanenko R, J Parsons, YF Wiersma. 2014. The IQ of the crowd: understanding and improving Information Quality in structured user-generated content. Information Systems Research 25: 669-689
- Mahlum S, D Kehler, D Cote, YF Wiersma, L Stanfield. 2014. Assessing the biological relevance of aquatic connectivity to stream fish communities. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 71: 1852-1863
- Andersen JM, GB Stenson, M Skern-Maurizen, YF Wiersma, A Rosing-Asvid, MO Hammill, L Boehme. 2014. Drift diving by Hooded seals (Cystophora cristata) in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. PLos ONE DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103072
- Acevedo-Cabra R, YF Wiersma, D Ankerst, T Knoke. 2014. Assessment of wildlfire hazards with a semiparametric spatial approach. Environmental Modeling and Assessment DOI: 10.1007/s10666-014-9411-9
- McCue AJ, McGrath MJ, Wiersma YF. In 2014. Benefits and drawbacks of two modeling approaches for a generalist carnivore: can models predict where Wile E. Coyote will turn up next? International Journal of Geographic Information Systems. 3rd Special Issue on Spatial Ecology. 28(8) 1590-1609
- Wiersma YF. 2014. What kind of scientist are you? Science and interdisciplinary research. Scholarly Review and Communications 5(1): 1-9
- Mahlum SK, D Cote, YF Wiersma, D Kehler, KD Clarke. 2014. Evaluating the barrier assessment technique FishXing and the upstream movement of fish through road culverts. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 143(1): 39-48. ***Most viewed article of this issue**
- Andersen JM, M Skern-Mauritzen, L Boehme, YF Wiersma, A Rosing-Asvid,MO Hammill, GB Stenson. 2013. Investigating annual diving behaviour by Hooded seals (Cystophora cristata) within the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. PLoSOne 8(10): e80438. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0080438
- Andersen JM, YF Wiersma, GB Stenson, MO Hammill, A Rosing-Asvid, M Skern-Maurizen. 2013. Habitat selection by hooded seals (Cystophora cristata) in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. ICES Journal of Marine Science 70(1): 173-185
- Alagona P, J Sandlos, YF Wiersma. 2012. Past Imperfect:using historical ecology and baseline data for contemporary conservation and restoration projects. Environmental Philosophy 9(1): 49-70.
- Wiersma YF, TL Davis, EC Eberendu, I Gidge, M Jewison, H Martin, KC Parsons, H Patterson, A Quirke. 2012. Hurricane Igor impacts at northern latitudes: factors influencing tree fall in a boreal urban setting. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry38:92-98
- Wiersma YF, Skinner R. 2011. Development of a predictive distribution model for Erioderma pedicellatum (Boreal felt lichen) for the island of Newfoundland, Canada. Endangered Species Research 15:115-127
- Bourne CM, DG Kehler, YF Wiersma, D Cote.2011. Barriers to fish passage and barriers to fish passage assessments: the impact of assessment methods and assumptions on barrier identification and quantification of watershed connectivity. Aquatic Ecology 45: 389-403. (Chosen as the cover story for issue 45(3)).
- Wiersma YF, J Sandlos. 2011. Once there were so many: animals as ecological baselines. Environmental History 16: 400-407.
- Lukyanenko R, J Parsons, YF Wiersma. 2011. Citizen science 2.0: data management principles to harness the power of the crowd. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6629:465-473.
- Wiersma YF. 2010. Birding 2.0: Citizen science and effective monitoring in the Web 2.0 world. Avian Conservation and Ecology 5 (2): 13.
- Wiersma YF, C Simonson. 2010. Parks as islands: species loss in Canadian national parks. Parks Science27(2): 70-77.
- Andersen JM, YF Wiersma, G Stenson, MO Hammil, A Rosing-Asvid. 2009. Movement patterns of hooded seals (Cystophora cristata) in the North West Atlantic Ocean during the post-moult and pre-breed seasons. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 42: 1-11.
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2009. Efficiency and effectiveness in representative reserve design in Canada: the contribution of existing protected areas. Biological Conservation 142: 1639-1646.
- Cote D, D Kehler, C Bourne, YF Wiersma. 2009. A connectivity index for riverscapes. Landscape Ecology 24: 101-113.
- Wiersma YF. 2008. Designing protected areas in the north. Northern Review 29: 63-83.
- Gonzales EK, YF Wiersma, AI Maher, TD Nudds. 2008. Positive relationship beween non-native and native squirrels in an urban landscape. Canadian Journal of Zoology 86: 356-363.
- Wiersma YF. 2007. The effect of target area extent on the location of optimal protected areas in Canada. Landscape Ecology 22: 1477-1487.
- Vanderkam RPD, YF Wiersma, DJ King. 2007. Heuristic algorithms vs. linear programming for designing conservation reserve networks: evaluation of solution optimality and processing time. Biological Conservation. 137: 349-358.
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2006 Conservation targets for viable species assemblages: data independent targets are not appropriate. Biodiversity and Conservation 15: 4555-4567.
- Wiersma YF, DL Urban. 2005. Beta-diversity and nature reserve system design: a case study from the Yukon, Canada. Conservation Biology 19: 1262-1272.
- Wiersma YF. 2005. Environmental benchmarks vs. ecological benchmarks in assessment and monitoring in Canada: is there a difference? Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 100:1-9.
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds, DH Rivard. 2004. Models to distinguish effects of landscape patterns and human population pressures associated with species loss in Canadian national parks. Landscape Ecology 19: 773-786.
- Habib LD, YF Wiersma, TD Nudds. 2003. Effects of sampling bias on estimates of historical species richness and faunal relaxation of mammals in Canadian national parks. Journal of Biogeography 30: 375-380.
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2001. Comparison of sampling methods to estimate historic species richness of mammals for tests of faunal relaxation in Canadian Parks. Journal of Biogeography 28: 447-452.
Drew CA, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann (eds.) 2011. Predictive Species and Habitat Modeling in Landscape Ecology: concepts and applications. Springer, NY
- Tudge P, R Sieber, Y Wiersma, J Corbett, S Chung , P Allen, P Robinson. 2012. Collaborating towards innovation: lessons from the participatory GeoWeb GEOIDE network. In: N Chrisman and M Wachowicz (eds.) The Added Value of Scientific Networks.
- Wiersma YF, F Huettmann, CA Drew. 2011. Landscape modeling of species and their habitats: history, uncertainty, and complexity. Chapter 1 in: CA Drew, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann (eds.). Predictive Species and Habitat Modeling in Landscape Ecology: concepts and applications. Springer, NY.
- Wiersma YF. 2010. Variation, use, and mis-use of statistical models: effects on the interpretation of research results. Chapter 11 in: CA Drew, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann (eds.). Predictive Species and Habitat Modeling in Landscape Ecology: concepts and applications. Springer, NY.
- Lawler JJ, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann. 2011. Designing predictive models for increased utility: using species distribution models for conservation planning and ecological forecasting. Chapter 14 in: CA Drew, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann (eds.). Predictive Species and Habitat Modeling in Landscape Ecology: concepts and applications. Springer, NY.
- Drew CA, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann. 2011. The state of habitat and species modeling today. Chapter 15 in: CA Drew, YF Wiersma, F Huettmann (eds.). Predictive Species and Habitat Modeling in Landscape Ecology: concepts and applications. Springer, NY.
- Hvenegaard G, YF Wiersma, P Duinker, W Haider, F Schmiegelow, A Munier. 2009. Emerging Interactions between Protected Areas and Sustainable Forest Management in Canada. Pp. 43-60 in: L’Ecologie dans tous ses états au Canada / The Ins and Outs of Ecology in Canada (S. Héritier, M. Kaltemback, C. Omhovère and M. Rocard, eds.) Toulouse: Editions Universitaires du Sud.
Journal Contributions: Peer-Edited
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2012. The percentage target question is all wet. Letters to Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 109 (6), pp. E288 [online]
- Parsons J, Lukyanenko R, YF Wiersma. 2011. Easier citizen science is better. Correspondence in Nature 471:37.
- Duinker PN, YF Wiersma, W Haider, GT Hvenegaard, FKA Schmiegelow. 2010. Protected areas and sustainable forest management: what are we talking about? Forestry Chronicle 86(2): 173-177.
- Habib LD, YF Wiersma, TD Nudds. 2006. Erratum: Effects of errors in range maps on estimates of historical species of mammals in Canadian national parks. Journal of Biogeography 33:1325.
- Wiersma Y. 1996. Corridors in a regional conservation plan: a commentary on the use of corridors using the Greater Georgian Bay ecosystem as a model. The George Wright Forum 13(4): 51-62.
- Parsons J, R Lukyanenko, YF Wiersma. Raising IQ of the Crowd: using conceptual modeling to increase dataset completeness. Proceedings, 35th International Conference on Information Systems, Auckland, NZ.
- Lukyanenko R, J Parsons, YF Wiersma. 2011. Enhancing citizen science participation in Geoweb projects through the instance-based data model. In: Volume 1 of Proceedings of the 2011 Spatial Knowledge and Information Canada (SKI-Canada) Conference March 3-6, Fernie, BC (R Sieber, Ed.). pp. 5-7.
- Wiersma YF, D Cote, DG Kehler. 2010. Measuring riverscape connectivity as a component of aquatic ecological integrity. In: S. Bondrup-Nielsen, K. Beazley, G. Bissix, D. Colville, S. Flemming, T. Herman, M. McPherson, S. Mockford, and S. O’Grady (Eds). Ecosystem Based Management: Beyond Boundaries. Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference of Science and the Management of Protected Areas, 21–26 May 2007, Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Science and Management of Protected Areas Association, Wolfville, NS. pp. 13-20.
- Wiersma YF. 2008. Representative reserve design in Canada: the contribution of existing protected areas. Contributed paper for the Canadian Parks for Tomorrow: 40th Anniversary Conference, May 8 to 11, 2008, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB. Published on the University of Calgary Library DSpace (URL: http://hdl.handle.net/1880/46953)
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2006. Political, ecological, and species boundaries: implications for the identification of minimum requirements for representative protected areas. In: Transboundary Protected Areas, Research and Planning (G Nelson, B Dempster, eds.) Parks Research Forum of Ontario; pp. 151-158.
- Wiersma YF, T Beechey, B Oosenbrug, J Meikle. 2005. Northern protected areas: current status and future challenges. In: Protected Areas and Species and Ecosystems at Risk: Research and Planning Challenges (G Nelson, T Nudds, M Beveridge and B Dempster, eds.) Parks Research Forum of Ontario; pp. 373-381.
- Nudds TD, YF Wiersma. 2004. Back to the future: designing protected areas using data on historical species distributions. In: Planning Northern Parks and Protected Areas; Proceedings of the Parks Research Forum of Ontario 2004 Annual Meeting. (CK Rehbein, JG Nelson, TJ Beechey, RJ Payne, eds.); pp. 141-149.
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2003. On the fraction of land needed for protected areas. In: Making Ecosystem Based Management Work, Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Science and Management of Protected Areas (NWP Munro, P Dearden, TB Herman, K Beazley, S Bondrup-Nielson, eds). Chapter 7, CD-ROM Proceedings.
- Wiersma YF, M Campbell. 2002. A monitoring framework for Canada’s National Parks: assessing integrity across a system. In: Managing Protected Areas in a Changing World, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Science and Management of Protected Areas (S Bondrup-Nielsen and NWP Munro, eds.),pp. 196-212.
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds. 2002. “Footprints” in parks: using GIS to measure human impact in two of Ontario’s national parks. In: Ecological Integrity and Protected Areas: Proceedings of the Parks Research Forum of Ontario Annual Meeting (J Porter, JG Nelson, eds.), pp. 251-260.
- Wiersma YF. 1999. Lessons from Northwest Forests. A review of “Conservation Biology Principles for Forested Landscapes” by Joan Voller and Scott Harrison and “Forest Policy: Ready for Renaissance” John M. Calhoun, Ed. Conservation Biology 13:1232-33.
- Wiersma YF, PN Duinker, W Haider, GT Hvenegaard, FKA Schmiegelow. 2010. Relationships between protected areas and sustainable forest management: many shades of green. A State of Knowledge report. Sustainable Forest Management Network, Edmonton, Alberta. 58 pp.
- Lukyanenko R, YF Wiersma. 2010. Application of Geoweb Technology to Facilitate Public Engagement in Scientific Issues and Development of New Methods of Data Acquisition and Analysis – Annotated Bibliography. GEOIDE Participatory Geoweb White Paper Series #104
- Wiersma YF. 2010. Monitoring and the Geoweb: how does a Web 2.0 world help with monitoring and management of the natural world? GEOIDE Participatory Geoweb White Paper Series #101
- Wiersma YF, TD Nudds (eds.) 2008. Top-down vs. bottom up? Working towards consensus on systematic protected areas planning in Ontario: Summary of the Parks Research Forum of Ontario State of the Art Protected Areas Design Workshop. Parks Research Forum of Ontario, Waterloo, ON.
- Wiersma YF. 2007. Protected Areas in Northern Canada: Identifying Ecological Areas to Represent Mammals. Phase 2 Report. CCEA Occasional Paper No. 17. Canadian Council on Ecological Areas, CCEA Secretariat, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. xii + 36 pp.
- Wiersma YF, TJ Beechey, BM Oosenbrug, JC Meikle. 2005. Protected Areas in Northern Canada: Designing for Ecological Integrity. Phase 1 Report. CCEA Occasional Paper No. 16. Canadian Council on Ecological Areas, CCEA Secretariat, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. xiv + 128 pp. + folded map.
- Wiersma YF (editor). 2003. Designing protected areas: wild places for wild life. Summary and Proceedings of the Canadian Council on Ecological Areas and Circumpolar Protected Areas Workshop. September 9-10, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
- Wiersma YF. 2003. Focal species as surrogates for biodiversity in the Yukon. Report for the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – Yukon Chapter. Whitehorse, Yukon, November 2003.
- Wiersma YF. 2002. A gap analysis of human impacts on a proposed protected areas network for the southeast Yukon. Report for the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – Yukon Chapter, Whitehorse, Yukon, October 2002.
- Wiersma YF. 2002. Identifying representation goals for Yukon protected areas: a coarse-filter analysis for the southeast Yukon. Report for the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – Yukon Chapter, Whitehorse, Yukon, July 2002.
- Wiersma YF. 2002. Parks as ecological benchmarks in the Yukon: research in landscape ecology and protected areas design. Report for the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – Yukon Chapter, Whitehorse, Yukon, March 2002.